Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Movie Review: Lupin III

The Castle of Cagliostro (Lupin the III) - Special Edition (1979)

I was asked to review the recent remastered edition of the movie. I'm a respected fan of Studio Ghibli/Hayao Mayzai. I've never been too big on "old-school" animes, but the Ghibli classics can keep me entertained hours on end.
Unlike many Ghibli films, Lupin is a more comedic movie rather than a serious moral filled animation like "Princess Mononoke. Being said, Lupin should be enjoyed on a purely entertaiment level. The animation is fresh and withlack of better words, makes me feel light headed and happy while watching it. (The remastered edition does offer more vibrant colors)
I'm not going to lie and say that I prefer the serious productions such as Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle, and I never was that big of a fan of Lupin the series, so I might be bias about not finding that much in Caglistro. But I will always be in love with Myazaki's stype, from the cute but not overly anime eyes to the excited floating hair.
As far as plot is concerned, Lupin the master thief joins his gang on a wild adventure to uncover a "lost fortune" from Cagliostro, a small European country. ninjas, scubba divers, vilians, and the princess. All and all, a movie worth adventure.

Lupin is a good film to pick up on those friday nights by yourself or with friends. So please, skip those horrible horror flicks.

No comments: