Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Happy Chipotle day

Fancy banner

Feeling: ?
Current Love: Strangers in the Wind - Cut Copy

I'm 3 for 3 on free burritos. Today was Chipotle's annual free burrito day.

I got off of class at 1:30 and scouted out the line. The entrance was clear to my surprise, but then I realized the line was going in the opposite direction. But still, it wasn't too bad. I dropped off my stuff at my apt, luckily only 2 minutes away from Chipotle, and cut in line with my friend Rachel.
I still remember the grand opening 2 years ago. Ironically, John was in line again with us this year. Funny how I wrote about how he didn't talk much, and it being awkward; can't say that things have changed too too much.
After the "event" started at 2, the line moved relatively fast. We got our food probably around 20 minutes later. I think they've improved on the "assembly line" every year, but all the employees seemed like they were attacking you.
The things you do for free burrito.

While waiting in line, I was thinking about why Chipotle do these kind of things. Do they just have too much money to throw around? I don't see it as a very good marketing scheme, seeing everyone who decides to spend hours waiting in line for a burrito must already be a dedicated Chipotle eater. The more logical goal I thought was for statistical purposes. But what can they really get out of it? :ponders:

1 comment:

Eric said...

awareness. visibility. increasing their client base.

they're bound to attract people who have never heard of chipotle or never been to chipotle and are curious why all these people are waiting around in line.

the thing i wonder about is how they have enough food to keep shoveling out burritos...it's like there's a secret basement storage facility...i mean i didn't see a single supplies truck the whole day and that line was packed the entire time.