Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Bazz' album 05 (part 1)

I've been meaning write this for a long time but haven't quite listened to all the albums I wanted when 05 ended. Though, I guess now is a fitting time since the Grammy's is coming up later.

Obviously, there're still many albums I've missed, and probably some good ones in the pool too. But from what I have heard and liked, here goes some.

Not really in any order, but then again, it might.

------------
Beat Me

Push the Button
The Chemical Brothers
Track Pick- "Believe feat. Kele Okereke" [guitarist/vocalist of Bloc Party]
Not their best album, but a better electronic of the year. Unlike other albums of the same genre, nothing was redundant, and I did not skip through any tracks midway. There're also some nice collab tracks, so check it out.

Lcd Soundsystem
Lcd Soundsystem
Track Pick-"Movement"

A 2 disc side project from producer James Murphey. I would say the album is more funk/rock than purely electronic, something I'm fond of. Along with Push the Button, this album is a Grammy nominee for the best dance/electronic album of the year. I have good hopes for it, but Demon Days might be sweeping the competition. :shrug: guess we'll see.


Before the Dawn Heals Us
M83
Track Pick- "Team Angst"

This album is different from the others in its genre in that it is much more mellow and almost depression, in a beautiful sense (If that even made any sense) This album became more enjoyable after a few listens as I adapted to the slow pace. (The title is also very fitting)


Kasabian
Kasabian
Track Pick- "U Boat"

A good debut album from the Brits. I debated on whether to throw this in here or under indie since it's a bit of both. The sound is not particularly unique(ie. genre defining), but nonetheless different from some other debut bands.


---------------
RockAlties
I wasn't impressed with a lot of alternative albums released last year. Sure there was the Killers, the Gorillaz, the White Stripe, Coldplay, and others, but the albums were not as good as I expected.


Frances the Mute
The Mars Volta
Track Pick-"Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus"

I've only started listening to the band some month ago, but the style is unlike much I've heard before. The album starts off with a beautiful guitar and vocal and rips to the band's progressive rock riffs that fades in and out and eventually dies after the 13 min. first track . There're a lot of style variations through out the album that keeps it fresh.

GureroGuero
Beck
Track Pick-"Got it Alone"

Beck is back with twice the fun. Lots of great remix elements are put into the tracks. Guerolito was also released this year, a remix on this album.


Extraordinary Machine
Fiona Apple
Track pick- "Extraordinary Machine"

I love orchestrated music, and I heart artists who incorporates it with vocals and . Apple has a decent voice, but not the best I've heard. Apparently there were a lot of drama going into the production of this album, which was delayed for a long time I think. Nonetheless, an interesting album.

1 comment:

orangepulpfilms said...

i've always wanted to try out Kasabian, because one of the girls in Charlie Manson's cult was named Linda Kasabian. she was one of the early quitters who turned state's evidence against the Family.

and i hear Fiona Apple is pretty angsty.