Wednesday, September 05, 2007

'06 Album Rock Party

Oh wow, I've completely forgot about this post. It's been almost 3 month since I began writing it, so I'm pretty glad it's done.
Even though it's more than half way into '07, 2006 was still a good year for music, and it was hard to pick the favorite favorites.

All the songs are playlisted. (link on the side bar) So be sure to check it out, if you haven't. Also if you're bored, read my'05 review.
(In order of how my mind flows; but pretty much random; I'm not a fan of rankings.)

-------
Whatever People Say I Am, I Am Not
Arctic Monkeys
Track Pick - "Still Take You Home"

The Arctic Monkeys is blog raved turned UK's "next big thing". Even though they might have turned "mainstream", it doesn't matter, because these guys are still rocking. When I listened to this unknown little band at the very beginning of 06, I knew think they would hit it big. The raw sound, catchy riffs and bass line, the style, and the adorable heavy British accent (I'm a sucker), is what I wanted. I was tempted to list this album for my 05 review, since it was released in Jan. but I refrained. A year and more later, I am even more in love with these guys and the album.

A Lesson in Crime
Tokyo Police Club
Track Pick - "Cheer It On"

"Ask me about being in Tokyo Police Club". My secret love for Canadian bands never seizes; But seriously, they're awesome. These yet legal Canadian kids are making a scene. The 20 min EP has gave these kids ecstatic fans, television debuts, label deals, and gave the world happy dance-punk tunes. TPC's sound is quite unique and distinctive, but very refreshing and of course, dancable.

Professor Murder Rides the Subway
Professor Murder
Track Pick - "Champion"

Champion! EP by another uprising dance-punkers from New York. Rides the Subway delivers much energy while keeping things fun. Afterall, this band has a lot of fun. You can never have too much cowbells!

Writer's Block
Peter Bjorn and John
Track Pick - "Young Folks"

"Young Folks" is all the rave from UK Top 40 to US Top 40 to Kanye West's dub and backup band. But I can't talk down on the phenomenon indie/mainstream breakthrough and debatable "sell out". The tune is quite catchy, and I can't, or at least haven't, gotten sick of hearing it. The Swedish Trio have been around for awhile, but this was their album. In entirety, Writer's Block is solid.

Night Ripper
Girl Talk
Track Pick -"That's My DJ"

Your favorite mash-up DJ Greg is here to please everyone. Honestly, I think anybody can enjoy this album. I can say so much, but I'll just leave it at that. Listen to Girl Talk.

The Warning
Hot Chip
Track Pick - "Over and Over"

I didn't find too much out of this album after the first few listen throughs, but after awhile, I was in love. I'm not use to listening to "soft" stuff, but something about these UK rocker's infectious electro-pop and dance sound beckoned me to listen over and over.

Transparent Things
Fujiya & Miyagi
Track Pick - "Collarbone"

They're just pretending to be Japanese. Fujiya & Miyagi is fairly unique compared to everyone else on this list. Their sound is very chill jazz like electro, but at the same time it gets your feet moving. The lead's voice is also very smooth and jazzy. Classy.

He Poos Clouds
Final Fantasy
Track Pick - "Song Song Song"

Alright, so I might be in love with Owen Pallett, but I respect his musicianship more. Again, this is another album that took awhile for me to pick up. Pallett hones his violent is this dreamy album that can probably dub as a final fantasy soundtrack. You got nothing Patrick Wolf! (jplaying, I like you too).

------

Notables: Here are some notable albums, but I didn't feel it was good as a whole, or for whatever reason, to write a review about it but definitely check them out too!

Robbers & Cowards by Cold War Kids
Scale by Herbert
So This is Goodbye by Junior Boys
The Ship by Danielson
This Harness Can't Ride Anything by Chin Up Chin Up
Yellow House by Grizzly Bear
Wolfmother by Wolfmother
CSS by Cansier der se Sexy
Gulag Orkestar by Beirut
Everything All the Time by Band of Horses
!!! Myth Takes
With Love and Squalor by We Are Scientists
The Loon by Tapes 'n Tapes
Youth for Eternity by The Subways
Pieces Of The People We Love by The Rapture
Bring Me The Workhorse by My Brightest Diamond
Six Demon Bag by Man Man
Return to the Sea by Islands
Let Me Introduce My Friends by I'm from Barcelona

No comments: