Monday, January 07, 2008

Toliver + AZ @ The Black Sparrow


My first Lafayette show after NYC
felt rather weird for some reason. Perhaps the NYE party set the standards for how parties should go in '08. (More on that later)

Oddly enough, I learned of the show through skimming the TGIF in the J&C.
The lineup was:
AZ - Although I've seen Aaron play quite a few times, it's still interesting to watch.
Toliver - I've heard about this guy as he seemed to started somewhat of an electronic scene in Lafayette way back, but he moved to Cali at some point.
Pixiu - of the Beatkids from Chicago. Played with/met him the first time at AZ's end of semester party. When is the entire Beatkids gonna play?
DJ Ghost - Can't find myspace!
VJ Snebtor - doing his magic on the projectors

CIMG5315.JPG CIMG5318.JPG CIMG5324.JPG CIMG5329.JPG CIMG5333.JPG

I showed up at the Black Sparrow with Mike, Andrew, Jen, and Rob after some delicious sushi at Mike's. The place is a new "hip joint" bar that just opened downtown. They did card unfortunately, but Aaron was able to get me in on the basis that I was an artist/performer. (And I guess he told the bouncer that I spin French House, ha). The atmosphere was totally not what I was expecting. So many old people (and by old people I mean non-college kids) Everyone was sitting, chatting, drinking,and smoking while DJ Ghost was spinning D&B in the background...sooo weird. I definitely felt out of place, and I think Mike did too, but no matters, we came to hear music.

I was interested to see how AZ's set was going to go over with the crowd considering he pretty much does compressor++ distortion beats. Well, I guess the crowd wasn't really paying that much attention to the music, but at least no one was like "this sucks" (as far as I know...)
Aaron's set was short, and Toliver was next. He walked pass me at one point and said "Hey I liked your program on radio Chiguiro." Of course, I've never met the guy before in my life, so it was a pleasant surprise. Unfortunately his set wasn't very impressive and fell short of my expectation.
Pixiu arrived around this time, and I could tell that he felt out of place too. DJ Ghost went back on after Toliver, but Mike and I decided to jet. I'm curious as to how Pixiu's mashups went over with the crowd.

Toliver:


Oh, I forgot to mention, DJ Ghost was scratching through the entirety of AZ & Toliver's set. It was interesting, but got a little annoying at points.

So overall, the show was meh, but I don't know if I should even call it a show. Snebtor mentioned that they may be getting regular gigs at the place. I'm not sure if he had fun/thought things went well, but hopefully the shows in the future will be better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully, you had a good time because they have been notified as to who you are. You sound like you'd be lame anyway.

Anonymous said...

Beatkids blow. AZ? Meh. Toliver didn't start electronica in Lafayette...are you kidding me? Snebtor? Video in the hands of retards with crayons. All-in-all lame show...not loud, pretentious crap from some of the worst. Step it up, midwest!