Sunday, December 04, 2005

parade

Feeling: bloated
What's on: "Us and them"-Pink Floyd


Today pretty much sucked. The Christmas parade is a total downer to end the marching band season. I went to bed around 4 AM working on various tasks and woke up at 11:30. I dug up some clothing that would theoretically keep me warm. I was not very pleased with my christmas hat in the corner of my closet , which somehow is drenched with the smell of strong perfume . I didn't have the time to wash it, so I hoped it won't suffocate me or anyone else too much. I grabbed a quick breakfast/lunch and headed to school around 12:15. The snow was pretty much gone, so I didn't have problem driving. (Apparently the temperature will go down towards 6 tonight and stay around 10 through tomorrow...fun. )

The band boarded the bus to downtown around 12:45. I saw some of the Robotics advisors standing outside of the tech room as I headed out. I waved awkwardly and gave a quick greeting. I guess I feel guilty for missing a lot of meetings due to band and theater, and I'll also be missing the meeting next week(ie. kickoff) for dodgeball, something I really don't want to think about right now. Our IT team is sucking thus far this year, and it seems the suckage will continue. (see the connection with my lack of presence?)

Going back to the story of how today sucked... the parade. So it wasn't too bad standing outside for the first 20 mins., but then the weather made its advances, at which point, I couldn't feel my fingers nor toes nor been able to smell the hat( positive extranality I suppose). We ended up waiting for about 2.5 hours on a small street in downtown Lafayette. To be PC, it was a residential area for the hard-working non high-income Americans. There was this one guy around 30 that kept walking in and out of his house that was close to the band. We jokingly commented that we should go inside to keep warm, and several minutes later, he came up to some of us and offered us to come in...that's just creepy.

So what is the point of the parade? Sure, bring the community together, but who's watching it anyways? Parents clinging tight of their cams and camcorders waiting anxiously to see their kids on that whatever float. "yay there's my son...hey baby!" Out of all the people that didn't show up, I doublt most even knew there was a parade. So to summarize, the Christmas parade should be banned to save everyone some body parts and the worthless 4 hours.

No comments: